New Zealand, Mount Aspiring National Park
Brewster Hut and Glacier / Gillespie Pass 4 Day Trek
The Brewster Hut and Glacier / Gillespie Pass adventure is targeted to take place over 4 days, 3 nights within Mount Aspiring National Park, South Island, New Zealand. The park is renowned for its amazing diversity – mountains, alpine lakes, river valleys, waterfalls, glaciers, beech and podocarp rain forests. Above the tree line, subalpine gardens of tussock mark the mountainside in green lushness. The mountains are unspoilt and truly a sign of the beauty of the wilderness.
This is an amazing trek offering a combination of climbing up to the base of Mount Brewster and Brewster Glacier and then moving over to Makarora valley to take on the beautiful track of the Gillespie Pass circuit. Enjoy the exciting climb up to Gillespie pass (1629 metres) to enjoy the skyline view of Mount Aspiring National Park and Mount Awful. To get us a head start, after coming down from Brewster hut, we will proceed to Makarora river and take the jet boat ride up to the top of Young River. Then it is about a two hour trek to Siberia hut.
WHY BREWSTER HUT AND GILLESPIE PASS TREK?
- Brewster Hut and Gillespie Pass Trek gives you the amazing combinations of glacier lakes, mountain views and high passes
- Trekking to Brewster hut offers an incredible perspective of the Mount Aspiring National Park and surrounding peaks
- Overnight stays at mountain huts offer a rare opportunity to experience the beauty of the mountain and the amazing sunrise
- This Pass offers access to amazing nearby peaks, and home to the national park with amazing views of wildlife and flora
IS THIS TRIP SUITABLE FOR YOU?
- If you are physically fit and can walk for long hours without any difficulty, you can complete this trek. It is rated as moderate grade
- This trek lasts for 5 days. On average you spend 6 to 7 hours walking. You will need to carry your personal gear, sleeping bag, clothes, etc
- The trek route is gentle with some steep ascents and descents at intervals
- The highest point of this trek is at Gillespie Pass at 1629 metres
BEST TIME TO GO
The best season for Brewster Hut / Gillespie Pass trek is summer (December-March). During this season the skies are mostly clear and weather remains pleasant. Weather in New Zealand is unpredictable, so we need to be prepared with rain gear. This trip can also be done during winter months, though the weather will be cold and harsh, it will be less crowded and the skies will remain clear offering spectacular and unobstructed views of the mountains
|DEPARTURE / RETURN LOCATION||Wanaka Town Center, Wanaka New Zealand|
|DEPARTURE TIME||February 23, 2020 Please arrive by 6:00 PM at Wanaka Town Center, Wanaka, NZ.|
|RETURN TIME||February 29, 2020 Approximately 9:30 AM at Queenstown Airport|
|WEAR||Season Dependent Trekking clothes|
*Only one pickup time can be accommodated at Queenstown airport. We can assist in booking a shuttle if you cannot make the departure time, the cost will be paid by the individual.